Monday, November 11, 2013

Unchartered Territory


Yesterday marked the beginning of unchartered running miles on my long runs. Until yesterday, I had never ran more than the half marathon distance. I did a total of 14.13 miles in 2:30. Yes, it was sllllllllllow paced but, I did it!  The first eight miles were all my long run pace (10:50-11:00 min/miles) and the last 6 were alternating between half marathon pace (8:57-9:03 min/miles) and long run pace.  I felt great during the run except my hip flexors knew exactly when they had hit mileage they had never seen before.  
When I got back home I was greeted by this little monkey....

Every time he see's me in my running clothes he says in the cutest little tone "Been runnin mama?  Your shirt wet?" and inspects my shirt for sweat.  I guess he is staying on top of making sure that I am giving it my all during every run. 
Besides having a first run greater than 13.1 miles, I also experimented with my first ice bath. I should have probably researched that a little more before trying it ⛄️.  I figured I would be pretty sore today so I decided to do the ice bath to keep that to a minimum and to hopefully keep the ole IT band from giving me too much of a problem. Today I am not sore and no IT band pain.  Coincidence? Luck? Who knows, I am just glad I feel as good as I do. 
After settling down from all if that, I settled down with these.....
Next thing I knew, the bag was empty...oops. 

So, what are your tips on not overeating after a long run? 
Ice bath or not?
How do you feel after finishing miles never done before?

No comments:

Post a Comment