Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Charleston Marathon.....The Rest of the Story.

So, after giving myself a few days to reflect and remember my first marathon, I have decided to give my full review of the entire process.
My friend Nikki and I left for Charleston, SC around 2p.m. on Friday and made the drive down.  It is only about an hour and half from home.  We arrived in Charleston and went straight to the expo (after a short pit stop at Dick's so I could get a "fanny pack" to store my race fuel).  The expo was sort of a cluster to say the least.  We walked in and there was a line wrapping all the way around the inside of the gym with nobody readily on hand pointing us in the direction we needed to be.  Finally, we figured it out and were in the line to get our bibs, then on to another line to purchase shuttle tickets, then on to another line to collect the race bag, then on to another line to get the race shirt.
The race shirt.....COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH BETTER.  Seriously, it looks like they took a picture of some random people running and ironed it on a shirt.  The shirt is really nice itself and I like the fact there was a ladies cut instead of the unisex sloppy looking ones that most races offer.
After leaving the expo we headed over to the La Quinta and checked in quickly and unloaded our bags. After that it was a quick trip to King St. for a taste of retail therapy before dinner.  We had 8:00 reservations at Bocci's which is an Italian restaurant that was recommended to me by a friend.  It was nice and authentic.  I had spaghetti and meatballs and Nikki and I split a side of sauteed spinach and roasted potatoes.  We were back at our hotel shortly after 9 and got all supplies ready for the next morning.  Nice little thunderstorm with hail came through so, we were glad we were already in for the night.  We both slept great.  I logged more sound hours of sleep that night than I have in what seems to be forever and Nikki said she slept great too.  I think we didn't know how to act not having to sleep with one eye and both ears open listening out for toddlers all night.
So, we woke up race morning around 5:45 ran down to the lobby for some pre-race fuel.  We headed over to the start line around 7:10 and was in our parking spot at 7:15.  We stayed in the car until 7:25 then headed over to make a quick bathroom stop before lining up.  The bathroom line was ridiculous but moved along until we were at the door leading into the actual bathroom.  It came to a halt.  At 7:57 I was 2nd in line.  At this point I didn't feel the need to panic.  My chip wasn't going to start until I crossed the start line and I wanted to start with an empty bladder.  We got out of the bathrooms and over to the start line in plenty of time to get in the pack around the pacer groups we needed to be near.  I think it was 8:05 when I his start on my Garmin.
The first few miles were beautiful but, freezing.  We ran along the battery for a few miles and then made a left onto King St and ran all the way down it.  Nikki was doing the half marathon, so we split off between mile 9 and 10.  I felt great at 13.1 and continued to feel great despite the 18 mph head wind that was blowing me backwards at times.  I felt great on through mile 22.  I would say around mile 23 I felt things start to tighten and my pace slow down.  I kept a pace that I felt comfortable in and a pace that I knew I could maintain and not risk a no finish.  This was my first so I had nothing to beat myself against.  I finished in 4:45.  I had in my head I want to do closer to 4:30 but, with the wind it just wasn't possible.  No matter what my time was, I am happy and can now call myself a marathoner!
Now, looking back, I have decided that running a marathon is comparable to child birth.  You forget anything negative about the process and you do it all over again.  I have now registered for my 2nd marathon.  Rock N Roll Raleigh........HERE I COME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment